19 Nov 2005

Pai

Got the morning bus to Pai...my nickname at ASU was Pie, so I feel it was a calling to come here (pronounced the same). The bus journey hilarious - long story, but I ended up on a local bus carrying almost double the people it should have been. 3 of us were on boxes between the driver and front passenger seat, one man stood the whole way (4 hrs) holding the rails with his feet straddling another box, and a local lady had a pull-down seat over the doorsteps, while the door remained open for the entire journey...classic :) All part of making a memorable SE Asia experience!




Pai is gorgeous though...I walked ages to find a nice GH - some were full and I wanted to find one that had been recommended in the Let's Go Guide. Eventually found it but unfortunately it was full too. Next door (Eden Guesthouse) there were bungalows (also full) but the lady gave me an extra "house" - literally, I have it all to myself - for under $5. Nice find and worth the extra hike with big bags :)

Went for an explore straight away, up the hill to Mae Yen Pagoda which had great views over the city...then took a jog through some of the backstreets while it was still light - there are some amazing spots with superb views over the river. The bamboo huts are great, and I think the rice fields with a mountain backdrop are beautiful :)

I hiked to Mae Yen waterfall this morning...a nice trail through the jungle that had a few too many river crossings. Where was the guide to carry me I asked myself?? Interesting walk though, and I'm glad I didn't do a guided trek - there are so many tourists here, I'm sure it would be a let-down after the one in Laos.

In the afternoon I rented a bike - total quality for 50 cents (I bargained for half-price because I was only renting for half a day...I know, I'm such a scab). It was amazing: a) it had gears, b) it had brakes that actually worked, and c) it still had a basket. But, there wasn't a bell - kind of disappointed about that one.





I had a really nice time visiting elephant camps, the tree-house resort (just being built - it has the PERFECT setting, and an actual tree-house room to rent!), and the natural Tha Pai Hot Springs. The hottest pools were 80 C (way too hot for me), but the lower ones were great for a quick foot bath.

I just decided to pamper myself and had a Thai massage this evening (very nice, but the one in Laos remains my favourite...it was the best, EVER :) ). Now I'm relaxing with a beer, a wireless internet connection, and a fantastic view over the river. I like Pai.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home