15 Sept 2008

Four Nations

Its always my favourite event, whether playing or captaining - the atmosphere is great and its really nice to have all the age groups compteting together. I was playing in the senior event this year, and spent the last couple of weeks practicing quite a lot so I could do myself justice, or at least not feel quite so frustrated as I did last year. Physically I feel really fit just now, and the competitive spirit never dies, so it was just a matter of hitting enough balls and trying to get match-sharp!


The first day Clare & I played against the Welsh pair and we struggled to find our rhythm - first time playing together and although we had some close games we never really got close to winning that one. Day 2 was against the Irish, and I won my singles 6-3 6-4 playing pretty solidly throughout... I'd forgotten what it felt like to be nervous on match point, but I kind of liked it! We also won our doubles, and played pretty well in that one.





Day 3 against the English - I had an epic battle which I unfortunately lost - after a come-back in the 1st set from 5-2 down I won on a tie-break 7-5 (5-1 down in that too!) Lost the 2nd set quite comfortably (actually felt mentally quite tired from concentrating every single point!) and then it was a championship tie-break for the 3rd set. I lost 11-9 - gutted. I actually played about as well as I could have done considering I've not had any matches for so long, so I was pleased about that but still very disappointed not to win... played great in the doubles and we won 6-1 6-4 - Clare & I starting to work well together by this point!

Day 4 was the singles vs Wales and once again I had an epic - nearly 3 hours on court despite it being only 2 sets & a championship tie-break! I really enjoyed playing this match, and although I didn't win it, I really did (insert quote from Sheila McInerney) - enjoy the battle :) It was 4-6 6-4 10-7, but we both played some great tennis and every point was a physical, tactical & mental contest :)

Overall Scotland came 2nd - next year we're hosting it, so we will definitely be creating some atmosphere and hopefully get revenge!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home