16 Dec 2004

Wobbly Winery Tour

Well, in Blenheim on Friday we decided to do a wobbly winery tour around some of the vineyards. We rented bikes for mum and dad after checking into a local motel, and I had my own with me. We didn't quite make it round all 30 vineyards that are in the region, in fact we only had time for 4, but that was probably more than enough! Free tastings and information about the different wines - it was really interesting and now I'm not quite so clueless about what I might like.

Mudhouse was the first stop - we had a great lunch platter there and then tasted several whites...Reisling being my favourite. Nautilus was a bit average, and none of us liked many of the wines, so we just wobbled on to the next stop (really wobbled, because the wind had picked up and it was becoming quite hard work!) Bladen was a really small family-run business, but it had some great wines...Gewurztraminer was a favourite there. We then spent a while in Framinghams, probably our favourite place, and with 9 wines to taste we didn't want to 'spoil the palate'. By the time we finished we couldn't remember which was our favourite (not just the wine I promise!) but we all ennoyed most of their selection, and had a visit to their cellar and bottling rooms. It was a really fun afternoon!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home