25 Feb 2005

Rotorua, Mtn-biking

Went mountain-biking for a couple of days in the Whakarawera Forest, near Rotorua. There’s loads of tracks, it’s a really nice area close to the Green & Blue Lakes. I camped at Acacia Bay, next to Lake Okareka...did the walkway around the lake the first morning and then went to the Redwoods Forest Info Centre to find the biking trails.


   campspot at Acacia Bay, Lake Okareka, track choices!

Decided to just follow some young guys up the first hill and see where they were going (my first mistake...they clearly knew what they were doing)...and then I cut off to do a track called North Face – thought it sounded fun. It wasn’t. After falling off about four times and admitting how pathetic I am, I found my way out and followed the 4WD track down to the main mtn-biking car park. After a good look at the map, I thought starting at level 1 and working my way up might be a better idea!

At the start of the trail I passed a boy who looked about five years old, and thought if I didn’t manage that one, selling the bike might be a good option. Thankfully I coped. Built up my confidence doing some of the easier trails, and worked my way up to level 3 by the end of the afternoon...but it would probably be more fun biking with someone who’s a bit more experienced, because when I’m on my own I really am a wimp. I never checked what North Face was graded, but I’ll just say it was a 5...it makes me feel better. Still, I had a good time and really enjoyed the area so I’d be tempted to go back if I find someone else who’s keen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home