28 Aug 2007

Vamos!

On Friday I was wondering if playing in the Scottish Grand Prix Masters was such a good idea, but by Sunday evening I was pretty sure :) It was on the clay at Craiglockhart, and the first match (vs Katie Gater) I felt like I was coaching instead of actually trying to win, but I managed to get through it in nearly 3 hours, 6/4 2/6 6/4 - not pretty tennis but Brad Gilbert might have been proud, it was Winning Ugly all the way.

45 minutes later I had to play the semi-final vs Frances Hendry on Centre Court - the tennis was a bit better but my body had had enough for the day - 2 hours later I somehow got through it 6/3 6/4 but was cramping pretty badly. I was very professional by cooling down properly (just so I could tell the kids I coach)- slow bike, jog, good stretch followed by cold shower at home.

Just as well I did because on Sunday I was in for a mammoth final vs Caitlin Steel. I was 5/2 up 1st set but lost it 7/6. Then I was 5/0 down 2nd set and saved 3 match points at 5/1, clawed my way back and won the set 7/5, then managed to take the 3rd 6/4. 3 hours 20 mins, and in serious pain by the end but very happy - I was pretty psyched because I hardly ever play matches anymore, but the competitive spirit never goes away. I just can't give in - it's not in my nature!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger patrick said...

Jesus that's a big cup. Could fit a whole lot of Gin & Tonic in there... ;)

9:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home