18 Jul 2007

holidays - back in the USA!

Finally, I've got round to posting some pics and an overview of my holiday in the states - I had a great time, and really enjoyed seeing everyone again from my ASU days! These are links to the picture albums online:

Seattle/Yakima
Olymnpic Peninsula
Mt.Adams
Vancouver

and below are some overview pics I've put together!

Flew into Seattle on Monday 2nd, and went straight to the pub with Ian, Derek, Tien, Jason & Sarah - just like old times minus the kiltlifter & sadly no Virginie either. Day 2 we headed to the North West side of the Olympic Peninsula (Ian's girlfriend Ester came too, but no Jay & Sarah) - a place called Neah Bay. Hiked down to Shi Shi Beach and set up camp on the sand with gorgeous views and very few people about.

Day 3 we hiked out, drove back to Seattle and then down to Portland to stay with Ian's parents (just Ian, Derek, Tien & I).

Day 4 we drove to Mt.Adams, stocked up on provisions and gear (ice axes & crampons) and just made it to the car park although the engine nearly over-heated several times. We set off around 2pm hiking up to the lunch counter (around 9000feet), and I think we reached there about 7:15pm...it was quite steep in parts, with snow from around 4500feet. The following morning Ian, Derek & I set off for the summit around 5:30am (Tien wasn't feeling too good). I could really feel the altitude, and it's the first time I've had to use ice axe & crampons, not just for fun either!

The part leading up to the false summit was extremely steep and I felt like I'd never moved so slowly in my life! VERY much worth the effort though, the views were unbelievable - clear blue skies with views of Mt.St.Helens, Mt.Baker, Mt.Hood & Mt.Rainier. Glassading down was super fun as well (although not the part when I almost went down the wrong section, I don't want to contemplate what would have happened if I hadn't realised...)

Day 6 (after driving back to Seattle and passing out on the comfy couch) we took Ian to the airport because he was flying to Toronto for a family reunion. Then went out for brunch with Jay & Sarah, and spent the rest of the day having a few drinks and telling good stories. I got the ferry across to Brementon to meet Claire Carter and her husband Dan, who's parents have a cabin on the hood canal and kindly let me stay with them. We had several games of table tennis and basically caught up on all our tennis gossip - was really nice to see Claire again, and Dan + his family are extremely nice people. The next day I went back to Seattle with Claire, Dan etc and joined in with some family birthday celebrations!

Day 8 I got the bus to Vancouver and met up with Tien again, who with his cousin gave me a tour of the city. It was really nice to have a tourist guide with local knowledge! Tien then took us out for a very fancy meal at a fantastic Japanese restaurant - thanks dad :)

The next day we drove north towards Whistler, stopping to hike up Grouse Mountain & Squamish Peak. They were both great recommendations - interesting hikes with mixed terrain and stunning views. We arrived quite late in Whistler but watched some crazy downhill mountain bikers completing the set courses and then found a campsite for the night.

Day 10 we returned to Vancouver and I got the bus back to Seattle - met Jason in an Irish pub for a couple of drinks and then went back to stay at Ian's place on his comfy couch. The next day I went on a mission to my favourite USA store - REI. I spent a ridiculous amount of money, but managed to convince myself that it would have been at least twice as much if I'd bought everything over here so somehow that justified it in my mind. I had a good time anyway :) Then I took Ian's car (he had told me to borrow it, I didn't just take it honestly) and drove to Yakima to visit the Adkisons.

Day 11 - it was really nice to see John, Maureen & Kate again (they are kind of my American family, I used to spend Thanksgivings with them when I was at ASU). I had a really relaxing weekend and joined in Maureen's 60th birthday celebrations (she definitely doesn't look 60 though). Drove back to Seattle and picked Ian up from the airport.

Day 12 - my last day :( Went into town again and just walked around Seattle, enjoyed exploring the city a bit and then went out for drinks with Ian, his flatmates and Sarah, Esther joined us later. Jason had been sent to Amsterdam on a work trip the day before which was a shame, but hopefully he'll be back over there another time and be able to visit me in Scotland!

Great holiday - packed so much in such a short time, but loved it all and look forward to the next reunion already!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mhairi Brown! I can't believe you were in Portland and Seattle and did not contact me. I have been living here (Portland) and working the Northwest for the last year. I'm glad your doing well. Might be in Scotland next fall. Love the Northwest. -Brian Colby

7:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home