15 Apr 2007

wan more wan dae!

I did the Wan Dae Adventure Race in Drumlanrig on Saturday, and just like last year (see here) it was another Total Strangers team that turned out to do pretty well! I met Davie on Saturday morning at Glasgow Queen Street, a challenge in itself (more details below) - the race organiser had put us in touch because we were both looking for someone to race with.

It was a brilliant day with great weather and super trails - 8 hours of biking, running, kayaking & a couple of random activities. We crossed the finish line with 1 min to spare having got every checkpoint except one - which put us in 2nd place, behind a semi-professional team called Open Adventure, who run their own events in England. I was really chuffed! Felt great all day - the addiction to spin classes must have it's advantages :)

Planning to get the 5:59am fast train from Haymarket to Glasgow Queen Street, I biked with all my gear and got there in plenty of time. Too much time... I somehow managed to get on the 5:56am train (from the same platform) going to Glasgow Central ... as soon as it left a huge list of station stops was read out - oh no. I ran and asked the ticket lady what I could do, it went something like this:
This is a really slow train. You'd be best getting off at the next station, going back to Haymarket and getting the 6:15am to Glasgow QS. How fast can you get there?
Was the adventure race already starting?!
6:02am - Train arrives at Slateford (just past my flat)
Jump off train, run over bridge with bike & 2 rucksacks, PEG it back to Haymarket ignoring all traffic lights
6:12am - Arrival at Haymarket.
Sweating, puffing, dragging bike down stairs to the platform.
6:14am - realise that there's no train until 6:34am on a Saturday! aaaaaaaaaah!
Phoned Davie to explain my stupidity, and to assure him he could do all the navigating during the race!

We ended up being fine for time as the roads were really quiet, but it was a fairly manic start to the morning. Davie was seriously good at navigating which makes a huge difference in these races, which is probably why we did so well. I can do all the events, I just need someone to tell me where to go! Looking forward to the next one already, with whoever needs a teammate!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home