20 Mar 2010

The Mighty Deerstalker!!

The Mighty Deerstalker


An adventurous hill-running race with approximately 1250 competitors dressed up in varying degrees of tweed & hunting attire which begins like this – sprint up a grassy slope, leap over some hay bales, plunge into a river/mud pool and then get to the top of the 1st hill as fast as you can. The rest of the race revolves around 2 major hills and consists of running, scrambling, crawling, jumping, wading, balancing, and sliding – not to mention dirt, mud & cramp (and in several cases blood, sweat & tears). FUN! I love challenges :)


I knew what to expect from last year, so I did a bit more running leading up to the event, and even stuck to soft drinks on the RPM night out the night before – I must have been taking it seriously. It paid off as I was somehow the fastest female runner (or probably more realistic to say the most determined female competitor who firmly believes that pain is just weakness leaving the body... not necessarily the fastest runner). I got a voucher for £100 of adventure racing gear, a medal, and a huge deal of pride. I was also in pain for 2 days – there must have been a lot of weakness leaving my body.


Heather, Simon, Richard & I also had a great walk near Peebles the weekend before - very windy on the tops but a lot of fun and great to catch up with Heather & Simon who I hadn't seen for ages!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Nice one Mhairi! Doesnt' sound like I could have beaten you this year...

I did a 12 km hill race on Sunday but it just didn't compare to the Mighty Deerstalker.

12:42 am  
Blogger Sylvia said...

Good stuff Mhairi! I'm impressed.

3:33 am  
Blogger anonymous said...

When you are ready for outdoor adventures, but want to try something new, you have to think in new ways. Forget the mountain bike or the paid rafting tour. Here are some other interesting outdoor adventures you may not have tried.

11:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home