9 Aug 2005

East of Melbourne

Leaving Melbourne behind, I started heading east, after cheekily stopping back at Jon & Michelle’s to have a shower and use the Internet! I stayed the first night near Healesville, and then started taking the tourist route through the Yarra Valley. I went to Lake Eildon National Park which was really scenic, and had a great run on the Devil’s Cove track from Fraser camping area. I took the (much slower but prettier!) skyline drive over to Bonnie Doon (sounded Scottish :)) and then continued up to Beechworth.




Beechworth is a very old-style gold-mining town, which beautifully kept old stone buildings, antique shops, arts & crafts, courthouse & jail, and guess what?? Even a Scottish shop! I had a brief stop at the twin towns of Wodonga and Albury, then passed the ‘Mighty Murray River’ on my way to Corryong and Khancoban. I had to rent snow chains to pass through Mt. Kosciuszko National Park via the Alpine Way, and it was already late afternoon so I decided to wait until the next day. I visited the Murray Power Stations (1 & 2), and went to Scammel’s Spur Lookout, before coming back to stay in Khancoban. This lovely South African lady running the Shell station where I rented the snow chains offered for me to park outside their place to camp which was really nice...then told me I must use the facilities, shower included in the morning!! Her and her husband couldn’t have been more helpful about conditions, the chains etc as well…really nice couple. And lucky me – a shower!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home